Paolo is a driven and passionate leader with an engaging style and a reputation for growing profitable sales, through a relentless focus on quality, customer experience and great execution. With over 25 years’ experience he is comfortable in complex, multi branded environments and has worked for both large corporations and small start-up businesses. Paolo is a confident leader who has put together and developed a number of high performing teams and delivered consistent sales and profit growth.
Created short and medium term business plans
A track record of recruiting and leading high performing management teams
Implemented efficiency measures such as time and attendance and stock control processes
Experience of leading businesses through an administration process
Successfully restructured small and medium sized business
Significant experience operating global brands such as Starbucks, Burger King, Pret a Manger, TWG Tea and KFC.
Operated grab and go, QSR and casual dining outlets across multiple locations such as transport hubs, retail centres, high street locations and traded from outlets located within department stores
Experienced international operator having worked in the Middle East, Europe and North Africa
Experience running large (£200 million turnover) and small (£2.5 million turnover businesses)
Non Executive Director
Advisory director experience across the private and non profit sectors
Business coaching experience
NED experience for tech companies
Advisory experience with franchisees, supporting them to improve sales and profits within their franchised unit
Start ups & Sales
Worked with founders to help develop their ideas and to take these ideas through to opening their first unit.
Successfully took a business to market, through due diligence and ultimately achieved a sale with a multiple of 8 times EBITDA
Retail Managing Director – 2019
- Responsible for marketing, NPD, Operations and HR and significantly strengthened each of these functions.
- Working as part of the executive team which created and executed a plan which led to comprehensive changes to the business model in order to return the chain to profit.
- Oversaw the evolution of the food and drink menu.
- Introduced a weekly and time and attendance processes along with a labour scheduling system which reduced labour by 8% and improved margin by over 10%.
- Worked with the people team to improve our employee value proposition and ensured that the change process went as smoothly as possible.
UK Managing Director – 2018 – 2019
- Brought in to turn around a loss making business
- Restructured the business and reduced the cost base which led to improve profitability.
- Created and execute a business plan which was endorsed by the group board.
- Led the implementation of a bio metric clock in system and new accounting software.
- Oversaw the setting up of the B2B sales business and the E commerce business.
Managing Director – 2018
- Worked as part of a team to bring a plant-based food concept and an Indian food to go concept to market.
- Undertook the role of advisory board member for a charity and a social enterprise.
- Helped an Indian QSR concept with its growth and franchisee acquisition strategy.
- Led a team which successfully rebranded a hospital-based coffee chain.
- Acted as an advisor to a contract catering business.
- Acted as an advisor to a tech start up which provided a click and collect solution
- Worked with individual franchisees to maximises their businesses
Managing Director – 2015 – 2018
- Prepared the business for sale, taking it to market and securing financial backing for a management buyout from LDC (part of the Lloyds banking group)
- Restructured the central team and ensured that every aspect of the business would come through the due diligence process
- Worked closely with the founder of the business and helped him to translate his creative ideas into commercial reality
- Recruited an experienced head of L&D and oversaw the setting up of a central training function which promoted internal talent into GM and Area manager roles
- Oversaw the creation and introduction of an app which combined loyalty, wave and pay and delivery in one package. The app had over twelve thousand downloads with 50% of them converted into regular users.
- Created a new store pipeline which led to 4 new store openings in 2016/17
- Once LDC decided to divest itself of the business worked with PWC on a process which resulted in a sale via a prepack administration.